Help NSUJL by joining the movement!
GivingTuesday was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day that encourages people to do good.
While holiday promotions keep cash flowing to retail businesses, #GivingTuesday was created to help non-profits jump in on the holiday giving season. Because of this, GivingTuesday is the BIGGEST day of the year for non-profits every year since it’s beginning 8 years ago. 2020’s Giving Tuesday will be TOMORROW, Tuesday, December 1st, 2020.
This year, we’re asking our VIP members, volunteers, followers & supporters (a.k.a YOU!) to start a GivingTuesday Facebook Fundraiser. Tomorrow, tell the world what NSUJL means to you! Help us fill social media with stories of how we’ve helped the families of our injured & fallen brothers and sisters. Talk about the programs we have available for linefamilies in need. We want YOU to reach out to your social circles and spread the word about our mission!
(Why did we choose Facebook for GivingTuesday fundraising? Facebook pays all the processing fees for you, so 100% of your donation goes directly to the nonprofit!)
We’d also like to thank you for supporting us over the years. Start a GivingTuesday Facebook fundraiser for NSUJL and receive an exclusive NSUJL #GivingTuesday hard hat sticker! As an added bonus, for fundraisers that hit $500+, we’ll send you an exclusive, brand new, not-yet-released NSUJL tee! To get your NSUJL #GivingTuesday swag, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, your mailing address, your IBEW Local, your shirt size & your GivingTuesday fundraiser link. The hall with the most funds collectively raised by hall members will also earn a super-special award from us as recognition!
This year, we’ve already given over $100,000 to our IBEW Brothers & Sisters and their families. We rely solely on public support & donations to accomplish this year after year. And, every year the need for NSUJL to step in & help linefamilies after work-related accidents, unfortunately, grows greater, so we expect to need over $115,000 in 2021 to cover our families’ expenses.
How to set up your Facebook Fundraiser!
Facebook makes organizing a fundraiser quick & easy! Follow the instructions below.
- Navigate to https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers.
- Click on “Select Nonprofit” & select “National Sisterhood United for Journeymen Linemen” from the list.
- Change the goal amount, end date & title of your fundraiser, if you’d like. The Facebook defaults are great, too!
- Then, edit the “Why are you raising money?” section to include why you’ve chosen us & what we mean to our IBEW brothers & sisters.
- Update the cover photo for your fundraiser, if you’d like. Click here to download a branded NSUJL & #GivingTuesday banner that will fit perfectly!
- Click “Create” & you’re done!
Tips & Tricks for Social Media
- Your fundraiser works just like a Facebook page – you can post text, photos & videos! Update your fundraiser frequently with information about NSUJL & why we’re important to you. Get as personal as you’d like – you’re talking to your friends & family about the linelife!
- Talk about how NSUJL helps linefamilies, your IBEW Brothers & Sisters! See the next section below for facts about NSUJL.
- Share a Facebook story about us! When creating your story, add a donation sticker to your story & link it to your fundraiser!
- Copy your Facebook fundraiser link & post it as the link in your Instagram profile! That way, you can still share your thoughts on Instagram & direct your followers to donate through the link in your bio.
- Look for #GivingTuesday stickers to share on your social media posts. Make sure to tag us, too!
- Consider using hashtags on all of your posts, including #GivingTuesday & #NSUJL.
- Share your fundraiser link with everyone you know, including other social media platforms! Talk about us on Snapchat, TikTok, etc. & share your Facebook fundraiser link with your followers. You can even share your link via text & email!
- Share our NSUJL & #GivingTuesday branded images on your social media accounts! Click here to download the banner. Click here to download the square image.
Quick Facts about NSUJL
- NSUJL stands for National Sisterhood United for Journeymen Linemen. We’re also well known as “The Sisterhood”!
- We’re a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Our Federal Tax ID # is 45-4670118.
- We were founded on January 26, 2012 after a group of linewives, collection donations in memory of John Plante, realized a nonprofit for lineworkers didn’t yet exist. Still today, NSUJL remains the only 501(c)(3) that assists families with all of their monthly necessities for up to 12 months or when the family is able to provide for themselves.
- Our mission is to assist families of fallen or injured IBEW Journeymen Linemen, Utility Linemen, Apprentice Linemen, Groundmen, Operators, LCTT and/or their spouses and minor children.
- We believe that no brother/sister or their family is to be left behind. To support this, we offer financial, physical & emotional assistance to our families.
- To date, we have assisted over 245 families and have given over $650,000 in financial assistance.
- An average monthly benefit to a family ranges from $2,500-$5,000. If just 50 people donate $50, we can often provide an entire monthly benefit to a family in need. Click here to download the “Did You Know?” monthly averages graphic.
- We have an on-staff clinical licensed Therapist who donates sessions to the families for counseling, grieving and additional services as needed.
- Our largest fundraiser every year is the annual NSUJL Fallen Lineworker’s Benefit Rodeo, held on Father’s Day weekend every June.
- We hold Climbing for Lost Linemen™ the Friday night before Rodeo. CFLL™ is a memorial ceremony in which lanterns engraved with the names of our fallen brothers are lit & hung by their brothers at sunset.
- We have received support from IBEW locals across the United States & have had Journeymen teams from as far West as California, as far South as Texas & Florida, and as far North as Maine participate in our Rodeos in PA!
- We are in the process of building a National Lineworkers Memorial in Freeland, PA!
- We have a multitude of programs available to our linefamilies:
- A Lineman’s Child: Through A Lineman’s Child, NSUJL will provide birthday gifts for children of permanently disabled or fallen power lineworkers.
- Giving Tree: NSUJL’s annual Line-Family Giving Tree program is available to line-families who have been affected by the injury or death of a parent due to a work-related accident in the line industry.
- John Plante Scholarship Fund: In JP’s honor, NSUJL offers a yearly college scholarship to age-appropriate children of fallen linemen.
- Click here to view a list of all of NSUJL’s programs.